Thursday 21 January 2010

Know Your Sushi

Originally the word "Sushi" referred to the vinigared rice that was placed under fish that was being preserved. The vinegar, salt and sugar from the fish would seap into the rice, which was initially discarded. Nowadays Sushi refers the rice as well as the fish that is used. There are many different types of Sushi and here they are.

Traditional Roll: 2-3 oz of sushi rice flattened (leaving a 1/4-inch gap on the far side for the seam) on a 1/2 sheet of nori; fill with cucumber and roll; cut into 8 pieces

Reverse Traditional Roll (this is what I call them): 3-4 oz of sushi rice flattened on a full sheet of Nori (leaving a 1/4-inch gap on the far side for the seam; flip nori over and add desired ingredients; roll in Makisu (bamboo mat); cut into 8 pieces

Hand Roll: 1-2 oz of sushi rice placed in the middle of 1/4 sheet of nori (quarter nori into squares); to the top of the rice add your vegetables or fish and then roll like a cone.

Nagiri Sushi: this is a ball of rice with fish on top. 1 oz sushi rice; form into an oval; on the piece of fish add a dab of wasabi and then place, wasabi side down, on top of the rice

Sashimi: Slices of fish with out rice. Simply slice your fish thinly and place on a small plate. You can top with jalapenos, soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, ponzu, yuzu, sriracha, spicy mayo or vegetables.

Gunkan: 1 oz of sushi rice, two fingers wide; wrap the circumference with a strip of nori; top with vegetables, uni (sea urchin), or any type of roe.

Unagi (Seat Belt): 1 oz of sushi rice, two fingers wide; place fish on top; wrap with a thin strip of nori

Chirashi: assorted sushi placed or scattered over sushi rice in a bowl.

Next time you go get some Sushi impress all of your friends with your new found knowledge.

Enjoy

I started my culinary career as a child cooking in the kitchen with my dad. He loved food, loved to cook and loved to create, and so the seeds were planted. After college I wasn't sure where to go from there. I tried teaching and didn't like the academics, let me teach the fun stuff. Then I sold my soul and went to work in an office, I quickly learned this was not for me. All the while I knew there was something better for me. Something that would get my creative juices flowing and give me the purpose in life that we all desire.

From there I attended culinary school and proceeded to gain as much knowledge of the culinary industry as I could, still feeling that there was something even better out there for me. This is when it hit me. I had entered the culinary industry for one simple reason - I wanted to create food that would make people happy. After working in several upscale restaurants, I realized that I didn't get the chance to be very creative and, more importantly, I didn't get to see the looks on the customer's faces. Thus I created http://www.cookingrevealed.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Whitnee_Haston

No comments:

Post a Comment